There are two main types of programs at Simmons College:
- Third-party providers are U.S. based, non-profit organizations and other universities that coordinate applications, onsite orientations, and have their own in-country staff. Students apply to the U.S. organization who coordinates the courses and student services overseas or facilitates Simmons students enrolling in an overseas university. When choosing to study abroad through a program provider, the student's main contact is the provider and not the overseas university. Students or parents can contact the provider office here in the U.S. at any point during study abroad process. Please see Study Abroad Options for a recommended list of third-party providers.
- Faculty-led programs are administered entirely by Simmons/COF faculty members and the Study Abroad Office. The Simmons/COF faculty leader runs the program and is on-site through the experience. Students will be studying with a group of Simmons/COF students. These are generally short-term programs that run during the summer, winter break, or spring break.
- For all programs, including a Simmons faculty-led travel course:
- If applying to a non-Simmons program, you must also apply directly to that study abroad program (typically via an online application).
Detailed process on Studioabroad.com (permission to leave Simmons)
- Fill out online questionnaire/application. Once complete, click "Submit."
- Study Abroad office reviews your application, gets clearance for you to study abroad from Dean of Students' and Registrar's Office.
- Study Abroad office accepts student. In the case of travel courses, acceptance is in conjunction with faculty.
- If you intend to go: click "Commit."
- If you don't intend to go: Email email@example.com and we will withdraw your application.
- Submit $400 deposit to Simmons cashier's window (W-207).
- Submit materials listed in studioabroad.com which can include:
- Passport, health insurance card, provider acceptance letter, petition to study abroad, travel itinerary
- Sign documents listed in studioabroad.com which can include:
- Liability Agreement and Release, alcohol behavior agreement, doctor notification, health statement confirmation, insurance confirmation
- Complete remaining application questionnaires on studioabroad.com which can include:
- host school information, health statement questionnaire
- Financial office completes final financial clearance.
There may be other steps to follow and information to provide depending on your program. If you have questions please email the Simmons Study Abroad Office.