Who can participate?
We invite full time or contract faculty who love to learn and love to teach, who are pleased with some aspects of their teaching and want to work on other aspects, and who want to talk with colleagues about teaching. All nominations will be made through deans, and the seminar will be capped at 30 people, so contact your dean and submit the application form (word or pdf) with your dean's signature. You must be teaching at least one course in spring semester.
What will participants do?
- Choose an aspect of your teaching you want to work on: for example, how can I get students to prepare well for class? How can I get the same learning in less time? How can I help students learn this difficult concept?
- Gather information, consult the research literature, and implement a change in your teaching in spring semester
- Gather information about the impact of your change, whether positive or disappointing.
There's a stipend of $1500
For faculty who attend the meetings, conduct a project to improve their teaching, and submit interim and final reports.
When will it meet?
September through May. Two hours every two weeks, plus one four-hour session. The October 2012 - January 2013 meetings have been scheduled for the following Friday afternoons, 1-3 p.m.:
- October 5
- October 26 (special 4-hour session, 1-5 p.m.)
- November 9
- November 30
- December 7
- January 18, 2013.
The spring semester dates TBA.
The CET is located in P113A in the Palace Road Building.
Seminar Leader: Barbara Walvoord, Ph.D., Interim Director of the CET. Feel free to contact Barbara via email or at 617-521-2038.
- Rave reviews as leader of hundreds of workshops for faculty, including arts and sciences, nursing, business, library, and social work.
- Award-winning teacher.
- Has conducted and published the kinds of classroom inquiry the seminar will feature.
- Emerita professor, University of Notre Dame.
- Worked with Simmons last year on "assessment," but now fulfills a different role, not connected with assessment for accreditation.
- Barbara's curriculum vitae.