Enhancing Teaching with Technology Day is a day-long professional development event designed to highlight current research, facilitate open discussion, and spotlight leading-edge approaches and practical applications of technology to enhance teaching and learning.
This event is offered to the Simmons community through the collaborative efforts of CASTL. CASTL is a committee representing five distinct entities (The Center for Excellence in Teaching, Assessment, Simmons Online, Technology and the Library), that ensures optimal faculty support through a myriad of skills and services.
The first annual Enhancing Teaching with Technology Day was held on Monday, November 13, 2013.
2013 Program Overview
9:00-9:30am Welcome: Continental Breakfast and Registration
9:30-10:50am Plenary Session and Panel Discussion: National Trends in Online Education
CET Director Jennifer Herman delivered an interactive TurningPoint presentation discussing national trends in online education, as informed by multiple national studies.
The presentation was followed by a panel discussion on the topic; panelists included:
- Kristen Palson, Director, Simmons Online, Curriculum and Faculty Development
- Matthew McGuire, Associate Director for the Babson Incubator for Learning and Technology, Babson College
- Catherine Robbins, Simmons School of Management Professor of Practice; Chair, Health Care MBA Program
- Karen Teeley, M.S., R.N., AHN-BC, CNE, Simmons School of Nursing and Health Science
11:00am-12:10pm Concurrent Session: Faculty Spotlights
Each of the current sessions demonstrated how specific technologies can be used to enhance teaching. The sessions included faculty demonstrations, presentations and demos from Simmons Online, Technology and/or Library staff, with assistance from visiting technology reps. Sessions included:
- Creating Videos for the Flipped Classroom Using Tegrity; Judah Axe, J. Clark Gardiner, Jamie Traynor
- Teaching with Streaming at Simmons: Dolores Pelaez-Benitez, Jennifer Ferguson
- Clickers in the Classroom: Presenting with TurningPoint: Erica Gunn, Tanya Zuk
- Hosting Virtual Office Hours Using GoToMeeting; Naresh Agarwal, Riccardo Marratzu, Jenny Boswer, Matt Varakis
12:30pm-1:45pm Lunch Roundtable Discussion: The Horizon Report
Over lunch, CET Director Jennifer Herman and Simmons Online Director Kristen Palson distributed and discussed key trends in instructional technology identified through the 2013 Horizon Report. The Report projects the adoption of technologies in higher education over time frames of one year or less, 2-3 years, and 4-5 years.