Skip to this page's content

Student Payroll FAQ

What is required of me to get paid?

  • A valid Form I-9 is on file with Payroll
  • A completed Form W-4 is submitted to Payroll
  • A valid CA$H Job Placement Form is submitted to Payroll
  • The Time Sheet is submitted before the deadline

What is the Form I-9 and what do I need to complete it?

The Form I-9 verifies that individuals are authorized to work in the United States. This form is required by the U.S. Government, and without a valid Form I-9, an individual cannot work.

Very specific forms of identification are required to complete a Form I-9. For example, if you have a valid U.S. Passport, you will only need to present one form of identification (the U.S. Passport) when you complete your Form I-9. If you do not have a U.S. Passport, you will need a combination of two other forms of identification. An example of a combination of two forms of identification is a drivers license with a photo and an original birth certificate from a state in the U.S.

You must come to the Payroll Suite, Main Campus Building, E 101 to complete the Form I-9. Bring the original forms of identification with you. A Simmons representative must view your forms of identification and then sign the Form I-9 while you are present.

For U.S. citizens, the Form I-9 needs to be completed only once; it does not need to be updated each year.

What is the Form W-4?

The Form W-4 is completed by a new student employee to inform the Payroll Office of the correct amount of federal tax to withhold from his or her paycheck. Form W-4 needs to be completed only once unless there is a change in address or tax status. The Payroll staff must be notified of all address changes.

How do I complete Form W-4?

  • Complete Boxes 1, 2 and 3: first name, middle initial, last name; home address (not your dormitory address); social security number and filing status.
  • Indicate the number of allowances you are claiming in Box 5 or, if you are exempt from tax withholding, indicate "exempt" in Box 7.
  • Sign and date the form.
  • Submit to Payroll

Please note that Simmons College cannot offer specific tax advice. If necessary, students should consult with parents or other financial source.

What is the CA$H Job Placement Form?

The Work Study CA$H Job Placement Form or the General Student CA$H Job Placement Form, formerly called the Job Referral Form, provides the Payroll Office with the employment fund from which the student will be paid, the hourly rate of pay, the appropriate approver of time worked and the department the student has been authorized to work in.

CA$H Job Placement Forms are completed by supervisors and forwarded to Payroll where eligibility to work will be determined. New student employees (on and off campus) should confirm that their supervisor has submitted their CA$H Job Placement Form to Payroll.

Are there additional forms for an off-campus Work Study Job?

In addition to the CA$H Job Placement form, your supervisor will also need to complete a Federal Work Study Nonprofit Agency contract for you. The contracts are available from, and should, upon completion, be returned to the Payroll Office.

How do I complete my time sheet?

Student time sheets are available on the Student Time Sheets section. New student employees should learn specific time sheet policies and procedures from their supervisor.

The following information is required for payment of wages:

  • the correct time sheet: General, On-Campus Work Study, or Off-Campus Work Study
  • two-week pay period you have worked (dates should correspond exactly with the Student Payroll Schedule)
  • department name (if off-campus, company name) and department budget number
  • your name (as it appears on the Job Placement Form)
  • daily number of hours worked (record minutes on the quarter hour ,divided by 60; ex. 45 minutes = 45/60 =.75)
  • hourly pay rate
  • authorized signature. Note: For Work Study students, the person who authorizes the time sheet must be one of the authorized signers listed on the Work Study Job Placement Form.

How many hours can I work?

Students are allowed to work up to a total of 20 hours per week during academic enrollment periods.

During winter break and summer, students may work up to 40 hours per week. Any hours exceeding 40 in one work week must be paid at 1 ½ times the regular hourly rate.

Graduating students cannot work as student employees after the term (December or May) in which they complete their degree requirements.

When are the time sheets due?

Time sheets are due in the Payroll Office by 10:30 a.m. on the dates indicated on the Student Payroll Schedule. A mail slot is provided outside the Payroll suite for easy drop-off.

Incomplete time sheets with unauthorized signatures will be returned to the employer and may result in a payment delay. Late time sheets will be paid on the following pay date.

How and when do I get paid?

Pay day is every two weeks on a Friday, unless it's a holiday week. Please see the Student Payroll Schedule.

Payment for student employment should be through direct deposit. Having direct deposit provides you with immediate access to your net pay right on pay day. Direct deposit eliminates trips to the Cashier's Office to pick up your check, trips to the bank to deposit your check and lost or stale dated checks.

To establish direct deposit, complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form found on this site, or in the Payroll Suite, Main Campus Building, E 101. Follow the instructions on the form for enrollment.

Receiving Your Pay Stub Information Using ADP's On-Line Program Called iPay

Simmons College offers a convenient secure online program where students can access their periodic pay statements any time during the year. The program also provides annual W-2's and a Financial Tools section for individual tax planning.

Students need to register with the site first, followig these instructions:

Once you are registered, you may then go to the iPay website to view and print your pay information.

Where do I pick up my paycheck?

Until your direct deposit takes effect, you will receive a live paycheck. Paychecks are available on payday at the Cashier's Window, MCB, W-207. The Cashier's Window is open Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

When will I receive my W-2?

You will receive your paper W-2 by January 31st of the year following your employment. W-2's are also available online through the iPay web site in early February of each year.

If I move, will my change of address in AARC be reflected in Payroll?

Payroll uses the address recorded on your W-4 Form. If you move, please notify Payroll in writing by coming to the Payroll Office and completing a Change of Address Form, or, sending an email to:

Other Questions?

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments:

  • Payroll Office (Main Campus Building E 101) 617-521-2013
  • Career Education Center (SOM Building, rooms M107 to M112) 617-521-2488