Skip to this page's content

HEOA Compliance


Simmons College complies with the federal law known as the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA). This federal law, which is an amendment to the Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965, requires that colleges and universities disclose information and data to current and prospective students and their families. We've designed this webpage to gather our HEOA information in one place. If you click on the category below, you will find the information required by this federal law in that specific category.

The Office of the General Counsel maintains these pages as a resource to the Simmons community and we welcome your feedback. Inquiries can be sent to Kathy Rogers, Vice President and General Counsel, at, or to Jenny Weiss, Assistant to the General Counsel, at


Net Price Calculator

Simmons offers a "Net Price Calculator," which invites applicants and current students to estimate the cost of attendance at Simmons- costs which typically include tuition and fees, housing and food, books, and transportation. This calculator can also provide information on eligibility for financial aid. To learn more about about our net price calculator, click here.

Please note: This estimate does not represent a final determination or actual award of financial assistance. Eligibility for Federal aid may only be determined through completion of FAFSA.

For more information about Financial Aid at Simmons, including frequently asked questions, information on how to apply for financial aid and other resources, please see the webpage of the Office of Student Financial Services. For tuition fees and costs by School, please click here.

Textbook and Course Information

Simmons is committed to ensuring that students have access to affordable course materials and to providing updated information about the selection, purchase, and sale of textbooks and course materials. Along with the titles and authors of the books being used in our courses, the Simmons College bookstore  displays the ISBN number and the retail price of books so students can compare prices and vendors and make informed purchase decisions. For many Simmons courses, students can rent books. Please click here for information from the student handbook on textbook rental. To go directly to the textbook rental page, please click here.

Entrance/Exit Counseling

All students who receive Federal Stafford Loans are required to complete entrance counseling and exit counseling as a condition of the loans. Information on what that process entails, and how you can fulfill this counseling requirement, can be found on the Student Financial Services website here.

Tuition and Fees Refund Policy

If your plans change and you will not be attending Simmons, but have already paid tuition and fees, you may be entitled to a refund. To see the Simmons refund policy, with a schedule of dates by which students may receive funds, click here.


Student Handbook

The Office of the Dean for Student Life publishes an online student handbook for both undergraduate and graduate students. This student handbook, updated annually, contains important information on a wide variety of topics, including:

All Simmons students are strongly encouraged to become familiar with the information and policies contained in the Handbook, which will govern your academic careers and residential experiences at Simmons. Please click  here for an index of topics. A search box is located on each page of the handbook for your quick reference.

In addition to the Handbook published by the Office of the Dean for Student Life, some Schools have their own Handbook specifically geared towards their students. School specific handbooks and their links are listed below.

Transfer of Credit Policy

Students who transfer to Simmons may be eligible to transfer academic credits earned at other colleges and universities. If you would like to petition to transfer undergraduate credits, please fill out the Transfer of Credit Petition found here. Information concerning transferring credit for all Schools throughout the College can be found in this document. The Registrar's Office provides transfer of credit information for undergraduate students.

Upon completion, the petition and all supporting documentation, should be brought to the Registrar's Office in the Main Campus Building. For questions about transferring undergraduate credits, please see the College of Arts and Sciences booklet linked below. You may also contact the Registrar's Office at 617-521-2105. The Registrar's Office webpage can be found here.

If you would like to transfer credits to one of our graduate programs, please consult the transfer credit policy currently in place in any of our graduate school by clicking on the links below.

School for Nursing and Health Sciences-Under special circumstances, if you are a currently enrolled student, you may receive credit for graduate work completed at another accredited institution. The SNHS will allow transfer of credit for up to two (2) courses not to exceed eight (8) credits. You must complete the transfer of credit form, obtained from the department or program office, and submit it to the department chair or program director for approval and processing. The guidelines are as follows:


  • Credit is not granted for more than the face-value credit assigned by the host institution.
  • The lowest grade normally accepted for transfer credit is B.
  • Quarter-hour credits transfer at two-thirds of a semester hour. An official college/university transcript must accompany the transfer of credit form.
  • A copy of the catalog course description or syllabus must accompany the transfer credit form.
  • No credit is given for courses completed toward another degree.
  • No credit is given for courses taken more than five yeras before the date of the application for transfer of credit.

For courses completed before admission to an SNHS program, transfer petitions will be considered only with six months of acceptance to the program. After you have been admitted to an SNHS program, you must complete the transfer credit form and the form must be approved prior to enrolling in courses at other institutions. The transfer of credit form can be obtained from the department or program office and should be submitted to the department chair or program director for approval and processing.

This transfer of credit policy does not apply to all programs in the SNHS. Please refer to your individual departments or programs for department- or program-specific policies. A department directory can be found here.

Articulation Agreements

Articulation Agreements are partnerships between Simmons and other institutions to provide a simplified transfer process for students seeking to earn a Simmons degree. A list of institutions that have articulation agreements with Simmons can be found here.

Tuition and Fees Refund Policy

If your plans change and you will not be attending Simmons, but have already paid tuition and fees, you may be entitled to a refund. To see the Simmons refund policy, with a schedule of dates by which students may receive funds, click here.

Graduation Data

The Simmons Registrar's Office compiles and maintains data on Simmons graduation rates. The HEOA requres that this data be disaggregated by gender, by major racial and ethnic subgroups, by recipients of Pell Grants, by recipients of subsidized federal loans who did not receive a Pell Grant, and by recipients of neither a Pell Grant nor a subsidized loan. You will find this disaggregated data here.

Post-Graduate Outcomes

Simmons College conducts surveys to inquire about employment and post-graduate education status of its recent gradcuates and alumni. Our most recent survey of graduates from the College of Arts and Sciences was conducted in the Spring of 2011 for the Class of 2010. To see outcomes for Undergraduates, click here. To see outcomes for Graduate students, click here.

If you would like more information on Simmons's career education and placement services and opportunities, please see the website of the Simmons Career Education Center.

Veteran's Readmission

Simmons will readmit you to the Simmons School and program which you previously attended if you left Simmons or did not accept an offer of admission from Simmons to perform military service with the U.S. Armed Forces.

You are eligible for readmission under this provision if, during your leave, you performed or will perform voluntary or involuntary active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces, including active duty for training and National Guard or Reserve service under Federal Authority, for a period of more than 30 consecutive days, and received a discharge other than dishonorable or bad conduct. In general, the cumulative length of absence and all previous absences for military service (service time only) must not exceed five years.

If you are planning to take a leave for military service, you must give advance written or verbal notice of military service to the Dean for Student Life, unless such notice is precluded by military necessity. To be readmitted, you must give notice (written or verbal) of your intent to re-enroll to the Dean of your School no later than three years after the completion of the period of your service. If you are recovering from a service-related injury or illness, you must notify the School no later than two years after your recovery.

For further questions or to speak with Student Life, please call 617-521-2116. The Office of the Dean for Student Life is located in the Main Campus Building.

The following is abbreviated from the full Simmons College File Sharing Policy.

As online music, movies and other media have become more popular, the issues of piracy and theft of copyrighted material have increased, as well.

Companies who own the pirated material are able to track files that are illegally transferred. These companies then pressure Internet Service Providers (ISP's) to reveal the identities of users who are transferring these files and thereby violating copyright law. In some cases, students have been sued by copyright holders and required to pay substantial settlements.

Illegal filesharing is a violation of the Simmons College Acceptable Use Policy, Simmons' Copyright Policy, and the College's Honor Code. Illegal filesharing occurs when you download or upload a file without the consent of the copyright owner of the content in the file. There are some gray areas in this evolving area of the law, and you should read more for guidance, including the articles linked to this page and in the Simmons Technology Knowledge Base.

What Happens If I am Investigated?

If a claim is made by a copyright holder, you will be notified by the College and given an opportunity to address the complaint. If you are found to be using the Simmons College network inappropriately or fail to comply with Simmons College network policy, you could lose network privileges. Depending on the severity of the infractions, additional actions may be taken. Furthermore, users may be sought out by the holders of the copyrighted information for restitution, which in many cases, involves heavy fines.

Legal Alternatives

There are many options that will allow you to experience free and inexpensive music and other media legally online. Visit the links below for some examples.

For further guidance, the Dean for Student Life sends out an annual filesharing/copyright notice to students, which can be found here.



Simmons College has developed an Emergency Notification system that will alert the entire College community in the event of a dangerous situation posing an immediate threat to the campus community. The Simmons College system uses various modes of notification and information dissemination, including Blackboard Connect-Ed and the Simmons home page. The Office of Public Safety also maintains a Police Advisories webpage.


The College has selected the services of an outside company, Blackboard- ConnectED, which has the capacity to deliver time-sensitive emergency notifications, through a variety of communications devices, to Simmons students, faculty and staff in the event of an emergency that affects Simmons College and the Boston area. In the event of an emergency affecting Simmons College, all Simmons-administered, land-line telephones will receive an automated message, and all Simmons email accounts will receive an email with brief details and instructions regarding the emergency event. Additionally, if you register, the notification system will leave an automated cell phone warning or text message if an emergency occurs on campus.

The College has identified a group of initiators who are authorized to send out an announcement using Blackboard-ConnectED. The Simmons College Emergency Response team (SCERT) consists of representatives from each unit of the College, including the Chief of Public Safety. .


To Receive Mobile Alerts:

*For Faculty & Staff:

Update your emergency contact information by logging into AARC and selecting Employee Emergency Info under the Employee Profile section. You must update your contact information under the heading "Employee Emergency Information" link in order for your contact information to be available to our emergency notification system. Information updated under the heading "User Account Info" will NOT be used by our emergency notification system.

*For Students:

Please be sure that your emergency contact information is updated by logging into AARC and selecting "Student Emergency Contact Information" under the Academic Profile header. This is separate from updating your User Account Info. You must update your information under the Student Emergency Contact Information link for your emergency contact information to be available to the emergency notification system.

Police Advisory Page

The Office of Public Safety will, at times, provide the College community with information about criminal or other incidents of concern on or near the College campus in an effort to identify potential risks, increase awareness, and help community members remain safe. This information is disseminated via the Simmons College all-college email and via the website of the Office of Public Safety. The Police Advisories website can be found here. To contact The Office of Public Safety and for other important contact information, see here.

Simmons College Homepage

In the event of an emergency, you may also go to the Simmons College homepage. All emergency messages are displayed via a banner or button prominently placed on this webpage by the webmaster upon notification by SCERT.

Other forms of Notification

Simmons College may also notify you of an emergency through other means such as:

  • TV monitors in certain campus building lobbies
  • Notices posted in central locations in all campus buildings
  • Bullhorns (maintained by Public Safety)
  • Simmons Public Safety vehicle public address systems and sirens

Annual Testing of Emergency Procedures

The Simmons College Emergency Response Team, in conjunction with Simmons Public Safety, is responsible for testing the College's emergency response and for holding evacuation drills. These tests may be announced or unannounced.

Missing Persons

Simmons College is committed to promoting and providing a safe and secure environment our entire community. As part of our commitment, and in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, this missing student policy has been developed for "residential students" — thstudents who live in a residence hall owned or operated by Simmons.

The importance of communicating your whereabouts

Our experiences over the years tell us that the majority of students deemed "missing" by their parents, floor-mates, roommates, or friends are not truly missing. Rather, the "missing" students simply have changed their typical routine without keeping in communication with those who normally see or expect to hear from them. This may seem understandable given the independent lifestyle of a college student. However, in the interest of public safety, we are urging all Simmons students to be more accountable regarding the communication of their whereabouts. If you are leaving town or traveling off campus, even for just one night, let someone know that you will be leaving and when you are planning to return.

Designating a confidential emergency contact

At the beginning of each academic year, you will be asked to identify a contact person or persons who would be notified if you are determined to be missing for 24 hours or more. This emergency contact information is registered by you on the Academic and Administrative Resource Center (AARC) website: This information will be accessible only to authorized campus officials and will not be disclosed except to law enforcement personnel in furtherance of a missing student investigation.

If you are under 18 years of age, Simmons is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian if you are determined to be missing for 24 hours or more, in addition to any additional contact person designated by you.

If you believe a student is missing

If you believe a student is missing, you are strongly encouraged to report your concerns to one of the following offices:

Public Safety - 617 521 1111

Residence Life - 617 521 1096

Office of the Dean for Student Life - 617 521 2124

The College's procedures for responding to a missing student report

In the event that a student is reported missing, the following procedures ordinarily will be followed:

  1. The College official who receives the report will immediately:
    • refer the report to Public Safety, and
    • contact the College Administrator on Call through the Office of the Dean for Student Life on-call rotation.
  2. Public Safety, or other College officials working in conjunction with Public Safety, will make reasonable efforts to determine if the student actually is missing. Those efforts may include, for example, some or all of the following:
    • attempting to contact the student by phone, email, text messaging or other means;
    • attempting to obtain information about the student's recent or planned whereabouts from the student's RA, roommates, friends or others;
    • accessing information in the student's email account; and/or
    • accessing the student's card swipe information.
  3. If at any point it is determined that the student has been missing for 24 hours or more, then - within 24 hours of that determination - College officials will:
    • notify local law enforcement;
    • notify any person the student has identified as a confidential emergency contact on the Academic and Administrative Resource Center (AARC) website;
    • notify the student's custodial parent(s) or guardian(s) if the student is under the age of 18 and is not emancipated; and
    • notify the Dean of Students (or her designee).

The Dean of Students (or her designee), exercising her judgment under the circumstances, will determine whether to notify the President or other Senior College Officers and whether to notify the student's parent(s) or guardian(s), As stated above, notifying a parent or guardian is required if the student is under the age of 18.

Disclosure of Relationship with Local Law Enforcement

All Simmons police officers are trained, sworn law enforcement officers, licensed as special state police officers, and have arrest authority on Simmons property. For more information about the Office of Public Safety, please go here.

The main campus and residential campus are located in Area B of the Boston Police Department (BPD) jurisdiction, and Simmons Public Safety routinely interacts with area police stations, - when notifying the BPD of crimes, transporting arrested individuals, conducting investigations, and scheduling police details for special events. Public Safety also works cooperatively with the Massachusetts State Police, which has jurisdiction along The Fenway, which is adjacent to the Main College Building.

Clery Report

In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crimes Statistics Act, Simmons College publishes an  Annual Clery Report. The Act requires that we prepare, publish and distribute an annual security report containing crime statistics and policy and security information. A new report is distributed (electronically) to all members of the Simmons community annually by the Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration.

Fire Safety Regulation: Disclosure of Standards and Measures

Simmons produces an annual fire safety report outlining fire safety practices, standards, and all on-campus fire-related statistics. You can find information about fire safety in our Annual Fire Safety Report, which is included in our annual Clery Act Report on page 29.

Residential Student information on Fire Safety is located in the student handbook. If you are a resident student, you are expected to comply with all fire and safety regulations required by the College or applicable local, state, and federal law.

Hate Crime Reporting

Crime statistics, including hate crimes, are maintained by the Office of Public Safety and reported annually in the Annual Clery Report.


Simmons College, in accordance with Massachusetts Law, requires the following immunizations for all full time undergraduate and graduate students including transfer students, and part-time health science students:

Two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunizations (must be administered after first birthday)

  • Tetanus booster within the past ten years; TDap preferred
  • Hepatitis B: series of three immunizations
  • Meningitis: students living on campus are required to be immunized against meningitis or submit the meningitis waiver form sent by the College

If you are enrolling in our Nursing, Physical Therapy or Nutrition programs, you must meet these additional requirements to ensure access to clinical placements:

  • Rubella serology and hepatitis B serology (in addition to the Hepatitis B and Rubella [MMR])
  • Varicella vaccine(s) or a varicella titer is also required.
Forms evidencing that you meet our immunization requirements, can be found on the Simmons College Health Center website.


*Instructions for Undergraduate Students, including Dix Scholars:

In order to have your complete health record on file at school, we ask that you download and submit the five forms found here, which will put you in compliance with school policy and state law. Completed forms must be returned to the Health Center by fax or mail before your arrival at school. The Health Center address and fax number is on each form to be submitted.

*Instructions for Graduate Students:

All full time gradute students and full and part time graduate health science students are required by law to file a record of their immunizations with the Health Center. If you plan to live on campus, your immunizations must include a meningitis immunization or you must file the meningitis waiver as well. We request also that you review and file the TB risk questionaire if applicable.

Please download and complete the forms found here. Completed forms must be returned to the Health Center by fax or mail before your arrival at school. The Health Center address and fax number is on each form to be submitted.

For questions on immunizations or these forms, please contact the Health Center at 617-521-1020.

Drug and Alcohol Policies

In compliance with Massachusetts law, students who are not of legal drinking age (21 years old) may not purchase, possess, or transport alcoholic beverages at any time. If you are a student 21 years or older, you may purchase, possess, and consume alcoholic beverages at College functions approved by the Office of Student Activities & Leadership and in your residence hall according to the policies listed below and in accordance with the College policies and procedures section of the Student Handbook. If you are transporting alcoholic beverages on campus, you must ensure that they are properly covered. Kegs and beer balls are never permitted in residence halls, and delivery of alcohol to residence halls, regardless of age, is prohibited.

Public intoxication by members of the College community, guests, or visitors will not be tolerated. A Massachusetts driver's license, a passport, or a combination of a picture ID and proof of age are the only acceptable identification cards for the purpose of purchasing and consuming alcoholic beverages. Under state law, if you are caught purchasing alcohol with fake identification, you may lose your driver's license for up to six months. The Simmons College Policy Regarding the Use of Alcohol and Illegal Drugs (insert doc) provides more details, including sanctions and discipline for violations. A brief listing of sanctions for drug and alcohol violations can be found here.

The statistics for drug and alcohol violations at Simmons College can be found in its Annual Clery Report, as part of the annual crime statistics report. Further descriptions of the College's alcohol procedures and programs can also be found here.


Main College Building
Room: C-208
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115

Contact Information

Office of the General Counsel
Kathleen Rogers, General Counsel
Phone: 617-521-2276

Gretchen Groggel Ralston
Assistant General Counsel
Phone: 617-521-2768

Jenny Weiss
Assistant to the General Counsel
Phone: 617-521-2074


Monday - Friday:
9:00 am - 5:00pm