Prepared by the Simmons College Archives, Records Retention Schedules provide policy statements and guidance on the ownership, retention, and disposition of College records, identifying:
- which office or department holds the official copy of records;
- how long such records are to be kept; and
- the ultimate disposition of these records.
Types of records covered include:
- Financial Records: Budget, accounting, investment, and gifts and estate records (including prospective donors/gifts).
- Student Records: Graduate and undergraduate matriculated and non-matriculated student records.
- Employment Records: Personnel records, benefits, and payroll records for all employees; includes Faculty Tenure and Promotion records.
- Academic Program Records: Records that document teaching and learning, such as course schedules and descriptions, syllabi, reading lists, and courseware objects.
- Administrative Records: Includes reports, correspondence, operational records for all offices, departments, units, committees, and working groups, including senior administration.
- Research Records: Funded and unfunded grant records and grant and contract accounting records.
- Operations Records: Records concerning building and grounds construction and maintenance.
- Legal Records: Contracts, litigation, and grievance records.
- Marketing and Publicity Records: Includes photographs, publications, and consent forms.
The Records Retention Schedules may be supplemented by department or office-specific records policies as needed. A complete Simmons College General Records Retention Schedule covering all areas of the College is also available. Retention schedules are researched to ensure that records are maintained to meet all legal, fiscal, administrative, operational, and historical/research value and scheduled to be destroyed as prescribed by law.
Additionally, the College Archives has prepared "helpful hints" to assist all offices manage their records.
For questions about interpreting or implementing the schedules or creating a department-specific records policy, please contact the College Archives at x2441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View complete hours and access restrictions.
News from the Archives
In honor of "Brave Women, Bold Ideas, Big Change," the Committee of 200's conference being held at Simmons on Tuesday, the College Library has prepared several exhibits celebrating women leaders and entrepreneurs. Just inside the Library's entrance, books about women...
The Convocation ceremony at Simmons College has traditionally served as the official welcoming of students and faculty into the new academic year. Simmons Convocation began as a dedication to the College's founder, John Simmons. In honor of this year's Convocation...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to visit a display of selections from the Archives' collection of historical children's books. Books by Lewis Carroll, Louise May Alcott, Beatrix Potter, and others--many dating back to the 1800s--are prominently featured, as...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to Think Spring and learn more about some of the College's most fun annual events! The Archives has prepared an exhibit--complete with vintage photographs--on the history of Spring Spree and the Simmons Cup...