Message From the Dean
Welcome to Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences (GSLIS). GSLIS offers an excellent program of study to prepare librarians and archivists for professional practice. Its location in Boston provides students with the opportunity to learn among some of the countrys finest libraries and other cultural heritage institutions.
Building upon its hundred year-old traditions that have won GSLIS its internationally renowned reputation and consistent national ranking as a top ten library and information school, GSLIS prepares 21st century librarians and archivists by
- Promoting leadership, innovation, and community engagement,
- Educating students in the competencies necessary for professional practice,
- Preparing graduates to work beyond brick and mortar buildings. As digital opportunities continue to grow, our graduates will have the knowledge and skill sets required for employment in a variety of information organizations,
- Offering a strong professional development program to provide substantive and relevant education to support career development beyond receipt of formal degrees,
- Raising public awareness about the contributions of librarians and archivists to increase cooperation in communities, enhance education, and provide services essential to sustain our democracy.
All of us at GSLIS invite you to join us as we continue to make a difference in our various communities and in the world of libraries, archives, and other cultural heritage institutions.