Associate Professor of Practice, Coordinator for Graduate Assistive Special Education Technology Program
Madaliane Pugliese is the Program Coordinator for the Assistive Special Education Technology (ASTEC) program in the Education Department at Simmons College. She coordinates the program faculty, serves as liaison to the rehabilitation and supported learning publishing community, and advises students in ASTEC programs, both on and off campus. Pugliese has over 20 years of experience in K-12 public education, plus 18 years in higher education. She is a nationally recognized speaker and authority in assistive technology. Her achievements outside of Simmons College include: Former developer and Director of the Assistive Technology Project for the Massachusetts Department of Education, Former Co-director of Camp Apple, summer program for educators on new instructional technology, Founder of Adaptive Rehabilitation Technology, a nonprofit organization offering information and resources for families with needs for adaptive technologies.
- Pugliese, M. (2001) Stages: Software Solutions for Special Needs, Assistive Technology, Inc., Newton, MA
- Pugliese, M. (2002) Stages Assessment Software, Assistive Technology, Inc., Dedham, MA
- Pugliese, M. (2002) Stages Report Wizard Software, Assistive Technology, Inc., Dedham, MA
- Pugliese, M. (2002) Stages Math: Number Sense Software, Assistive Technology, Inc., Dedham, MA
- Pugliese, M. (1989) Me Too! A software program for computer-using students with physical challenges, William K. Bradford, Inc.
- Pugliese, M. (2007) Set the Stage for Success!, Closing the Gap, February/March 2007, Vol. 25, No. 6.
- Pugliese, M. (2004) Stages Certified Evaluator Professional Development Manual, Newton, MA. Assistive Technology, Inc.
- Pugliese, M. (2002) "Using Stages to Create Meaningful and Effective Alternate Assessment Portfolios." Closing the Gap, September/October 2002, Vol. 18, No. 1.
- Pugliese, M. (1993) "Getting Started with Computers." Exceptional Parent Magazine
- Pugliese, M. (1993) Interactive Videodisc: Multimedia Access. Students with Disabilities Emerging Technology Publications
- Set the Stage for Success with Alternate Assessment and Access to Curriculum. Invited session for Closing the Gap International Conference on Assistive and Rehabilitative Technology, 2007
- Number Sense for ALL Learners! Closing the Gap International Conference on Assistive and Rehabilitative Technology, 2007
- Number Sense for ALL Learners! MassCue Annual Conference, 2007
- Differentiated Instruction and Universal Design. Anne Carlsen Center for Children and the ND Department of Education, 2007
- Classroom Implementation Strategies. Area Cooperative Educational Services (ACES), 2007
- Set the Stage for Success with Alternate Assessment and Access to Curriculum. Massachusetts Computer Using Educators Conference, Sturbridge, MA, 2006
- Making the Curriculum Connection for Learners with Special Needs. Invited Pre-conference session for Assistive Technology Industries Association Annual Conference, 2006
- Invited panel member addressing the topic: Graduate Studies in Assistive Technology. For the Council for Exceptional Children meeting, Assistive Technology Industries Association Annual Conference, 2006
- Keynote speaker: Using Stages to Create Meaningful and Effective Alternate Assessment Portfolios. Council for Exceptional children: TAM Division, Reston, VA, 2005
- Monitor Student Educational Gains with Stages Report Wizard & Facilitate Smart Spending. Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, 2005
- Make the Curriculum Connection for All Learners, International Society for Technology in Education, invited session for the National Education Computing Conference, 2005
- Keynote speaker: Using Stages to Create Meaningful and Effective Alternate Assessment Portfolios. National Downs Syndrome Association, San Diego, CA, 2004
- Stages: Technology for Alternative Assessment and Curriculum Workshop Series, North Dakota Public Schools and Anne Carlsen Center for Children, Jamestown, ND, 2002
- Keynote speaker: A Retrospective on Assistive Technology: My Path, Northwest Council for Computers in Education Annual Conference, 2001
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Technology and Media Division
- Council of Administrators of Special Education
M.S., Ed.S., Assistive Special Education Technology
M.Ed., Curriculum/Administration of Education
M.Ed., Educational Technology
University of Maryland