Skip to this page's content

Student Accounts FAQs


Q. When will I receive my bill?

A. For the fall semester, undergraduate students will be billed in the first week of July and will be due on August 1st; graduate students will be billed mid-July and will be due August 15th. For the spring semester, bills will be issued in the first couple weeks of November and will be due on December 15th.

Q. How can I pay?

A. Simmons College requires that payment be made in U.S. currency and accepts personal checks, traveler's checks, bank checks, money orders, wire transfers and online payments with American Express, MasterCard, and Discover credit card. Please refer to our Payment Options section of the site for more detailed information.

Q. There is a charge for insurance on my bill. What is this for?

A. Please refer to the Medical Insurance section on this page for detailed information about insurance.


Q. What do I do if my employer is paying for my classes but they will not do so until the courses have ended?

A. You must complete an Employer Reimbursement Form (ERPA) and pay a $25 fee to defer the due date until 3 weeks after grades are in.

Q. What if I already filled out an ERPA last semester?

A. The Employer Reimbursement Form must be completed for each term in which payment is to be deferred, along with payment of the $25 fee.

Q. Do you take credit cards?

A. Yes. We accept MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.  You can view your account online via AARC and make your payment there.  Be advised that there is a finance fee of 2.75% on the amount you charge on your credit card.  To avoid the finance fee, we advise paying by e-check.

Q. Can I pay by e-check?

A. Yes. You can view your account online via AARC and make your payment there.  You may pay by e-check online by reporting your bank routing number and account number.  There is no finance fee to pay by e-check. 



Q. Can I pay over the phone?

A. No, we do not take credit card payments by phone.

Q. Can I pay online?

A. Yes. You can find more information on this section of our website.

Q. What do I do if I am using a teacher voucher to pay for my course?

A. Follow these steps:

  1. Complete the middle section of the voucher (course info, etc.)
  2. Have the bottom section signed by a representative of the Education Department at Simmons. This is often the same person who issued you the voucher.
  3. Redeem the voucher in Student Financial Services.
  4. Pay the activity fee, which is not covered by the voucher.

Q. What happens if I don't pay on time?

A. Late fees may be charged (see below), grades and transcripts held, and registration for new courses may be prevented.

Q. Will there be penalties if I pay late?

A. If the account is unpaid by the due date, late fees will be charged. We will apply a $100 late fee for any balance that is unpaid by the due date.  We will apply a second $100 late fee if the balance is unpaid by the start of the semester.

Q. Will I be a charged a late fee if I'm still applying for or about to receive financial aid?

A. Possibly. There are no extensions of the due date for those who are still in the process of obtaining financial aid. Students and parents should pay the tuition bill up front, then get a refund after the loan has been applied; otherwise they risk a late fee charge. Those who are charged a late fee may have it reversed at our discretion, upon later review.


Q. I already have insurance but I was charged for it anyway. Why?

A. Massachusetts requires students taking 9 or more credits to be insured; therefore all such students are presumed to need insurance and are charged for it. If they have their own coverage, though, they can waive Simmons' coverage.

Q. How do I waive insurance?

A. Follow these steps:

  1. Go to the web site University Health Plans website
  2. Click on Simmons College
  3. Click on Waiver Form
  4. Fill in all required information
  5. Submit the form

Q. What do I do if I am not able to process the insurance waiver online (i.e., international student without a Social Security number, no access to the internet, etc.)?

A. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 617-521-2001.

Q. If I want the insurance, how do I pay for it?

A. Simmons College will bill for the cost of insurance and it appears as an item on your statement. Payment may be made to the College along with other costs (i.e. tuition and residence). If you are taking less than 9 credits, you must complete an enrollment card to purchase optional insurance.

Q. How much does the insurance cost?

A. The annual charge for 2013-2014 is $2,549 for undergraduates, $4,190 for graduates, $6,751 for family coverage (in addition to regular insurance enrollment charge). Visit this section of our website for prorated insurance charges.  The rate for 2014-2015 will be announed June 2014.

Q. Do I have to pay up front for the insurance or can I use loans or one of the payment plans?

A. Insurance must be paid up front. We will consider loan (and pending loan) funds as payment. However, students are discouraged from paying through a payment plan. If you insist on doing so, the cost of insurance must be paid in the fall portion of the payment plan — that is, the first 4 or 5 payments in a 9 or 10 month plan respectively, regardless of the total plan.

Q. What does the insurance cover?

A. One year's worth of insurance runs from August 15th through the following August 14th. For details on what the insurance covers and how to use it, visit the University Health Plans website.


Health Center Fees

Q. Why are undergraduates charged a Health Center Fee even if they don't live on campus and/or have their own insurance?

A. The Health Center Fee is required because students may need medical attention while they are on campus attending classes or activities.

Q. Why was I charged for the Health Center when I waived insurance?

A. The Health Center and Health Insurance Fees are separate charges. Insurance may be waived, but the Health Center Fee is mandatory for full-time undergraduates and resident graduates.

Q. If I have insurance through Simmons, do I have to pay to use the Health Center?

A. Yes . Those who don't fall into the group for whom the fee is mandatory may request access and pay the full fee ($770 for 2013-2014) or pay on a per-use basis. Insurance covers major costs (prescriptions, X-rays, etc.) not provided by the Health Center.

Q. If I do not have insurance through Simmons, and have not paid the Health Center Fee, what does it cost to use the Health Center on a per-use basis?

A. Please contact the Health Center for their schedule of charges.

IRS Form 1098T

Q. What is this document used for?

A. You, or the person who may claim you as a dependent, may be able to take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim an education credit on Form 1040 or 1040A for the qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid in 2013.

NOTE: The #1 reason for confusion on the part of students and parents is that the 1098T reports activity for the CALENDAR year, not the ACADEMIC year.


Q. Why does my 1098T have no figures listed in the boxes?

A. Because the type of account activity we are required to report did not take place during calendar year 2013; however the student in question was enrolled at Simmons sometime during 2013. For instance, billing of spring 2013 charges and posting of grants and scholarships for spring happened in late 2012 and so are not part of the 2013 tax year, though the student attended for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Q. I don't have my 1098T yet. Why not just quote a figure over the phone?

A.  We would prefer not to do so. You should have the 1098T form for your records. In addition, we don't want to give out incorrect information.

Q. Am I eligible for a tax credit?

A. You should speak to your accountant or qualified tax advisor.

Q. What do I do if I lost or misplaced the form that was sent to me?

A. Just let us know and we can print another copy of the form.

Q. What if my address on the form is incorrect?

A. The address on the form should be your permanent address. If it is incorrect or has recently changed, you should file a change of address form with the College Registrar. Once the Registrar's Office has updated the address in the system a revised 1098T with the correct address may be prepared for the student if they request it. However, as long as the SSN and financial information on the form are correct, Simmons is not required to submit the change of address info to the IRS.

Q: What if the dollar amount is incorrect?

A: Notify Accounting Services. A corrected 1098T will be issued to the student and a copy will be sent to the IRS.

Q. Do I need this form to file my taxes?

A. No, this does not have to be filed with tax returns.

NOTE: Additional information regarding the 1098T form is included in IRS Publication 970. Students and parents are encouraged to consult IRS publications and the IRS web site to obtain answers to 1098T, education tax credit, and related questions.

Please visit the IRS website for more information.

Please note: We are not permitted to give tax advice to students or parents.

Q: What if my SSN is incorrect?

A: The student should complete a W-9 form with the correct SSN. Accounting Services will issue a corrected 1098T to the student and submit a copy to the IRS.


Online Student Account Center


Q. How do I access the Online Student Account Center?

You must log into AARC , under Financial Information, click on the Student Account Center link, then click on to the View Bill/Make a Payment. This will load your student account.

Q. What if I have trouble logging into AARC or have forgotten my login and password?

Please call the Simmons Help Desk at 617-521-2222 and have your Simmons ID number available so you are able to identify yourself.

Q. Why does it take close to 30 seconds to load my Student Account Center?

The Student Account Center is connected to our financial system to provide you with up to date information. At the moment you log in, it will refresh to make sure the Student Account Center reflects all the recent activity. We appreciate your patience.

Q. Will there be times when I cannot access my Student Account Center?

Yes. We perform weekly maintenance to AARC and its supporting databases. This usually occurs on Wednesday evenings for a few hours depending on the updates that are required. We will do our best to keep this downtime at a minimum. If AARC is inaccessible, please try again the following morning. We appreciate your patience.

Q. How can I grant access to someone else?

In your Student Account Center, click on the Authorized Users tab and follow the prompts to add an authorized user.


Q. Can my authorized users see my other information on AARC?

No. Authorized users directly access your Student Account Center through another link. They DO NOT go through AARC.

Q. What can my authorized users see?

When you designate your authorized user by their email address, you will be able to make selections based on two questions.

  1. Would you like to allow this person to view your billing statement? Yes or No

    If you select yes, then this authorized user will be able to view all the ebills that get posted to your account, just as you see them.

    If you select no, they will only see the statement balance, your current balance and then have the option to pay a designated amount.
  2. Would you like to allow this person to view your payment history? Yes or No

    If you select yes, then this authorized user will be able to see all payments made to your account, regardless of who made the payment..

    If you select no, then this authorized user will only see the payments he or she has made to your account.  

      Q. How can my authorized user access the Student Account Center?

When you set up your authorized user(s), an email will be sent to them with instructions on how to access your Student Account Center. The email address you provide will be their username. Additionally, a temporary password will be provided to them. They will be prompted to change that password upon their first login. Information on how to access this page can be found here. 






Q. Why doesn't my current balance match the amount on my bill/statement?

Current balances reflect the activity on your account since your last statement was posted. Your current balance is the most up to date balance.  

 Q. Is Pending Aid included in my current balance?




 If applicable to you, Pending Aid is included in your statement balance, but is not reflected in your current balance. Your current balance reflects what is being charged to you. As the aid comes in and hits your account, you will see it reflected in your current activity and your current balance will adjust. Until the aid comes in, your current balance will appear higher than your statement balance.  

  Q. What does it mean when it says, "Unable to load Current Activity at this time"?



 This means the connection is down between the Student Account Center web application and our financial system. Even though the connection may be down, you will still be able to make payments and view your bill/statements. This payment will be reflected in your current activity once the connection is restored.  





Q. Where do I view my bill/statements?

Click on the eBills tab in your Student Account Center.  





Q. How can I verify that my payment went through?

If you made an ACH payment is should reflect under Recent Payments/Credits immediately after you execute the transaction. Additionally, you can run a Payment History report which is found under the Payments tab.

If you made a credit card payment, since it was executed using the Pay Path service, you will need to log out of the Student Account Center and back in to see it reflected under Recent Payments/Credits or in your Payment History report.  





Q. Who do I call if I have questions about my bill or payment?

Please call the Office of Student Financial Services at 617-521-2001 or email and we will do our best to address your questions.


Have questions about Form 1098T, billing, or financial aid? We have answers to these and other common questions »

Need Help?

Please contact us at or 617-521-2001. More information can be found in our help section. This includes detailed contact information, FAQs, and links to other important sites and dates.

Hours of Operation (Fall/Spring)

  • Mon—Tue: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
  • Wed—Thu: 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Fri: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Cashier's Window (Fall/Spring)

  • Mon—Fri: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Hours of Operation (Summer)

  • Mon—Fri: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Cashier's Window (Summer)

  • Monday and Friday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
  • Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
  • Wednesday: Closed

Office Closed  

  • Labor Day (September 1)
  • Columbus Day (October 13)
  • Veteran's Day (November 11)
  • Thanksgiving Holiday (November 26-28)
  • Winter Break (December 24 - January 4)