Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Jumpstart delivers a research-based and cost-effective program by training college students and community volunteers to serve preschool-age children in low-income neighborhoods. Through a proven curriculum, these children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path for lifelong success. During the regular school year, teams of 6-8 Jumpstart Corps members engage a classroom of preschool children in a two-hour Jumpstart session twice a week; during these Jumpstart sessions, teams deliver a curriculum based on Jumpstart's three language and literacy domains. Each Corps member is paired with approximately three children and supports these partner children directly through select session elements (such as small reading groups) while sharing responsibility for supporting the larger classroom of children during other parts of the session (such as singing songs, playing word games, and engaging in projects and explorations tied to a larger theme). Comprehensive training and coaching throughout a Corps member's term of service increases Corps members' ability to work effectively with children and supports the development of leadership skills and awareness of community and social issues that impact young children.
Jumpstart is a proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network. Jumpstart currently operates with over 80 sites in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Jumpstart at Simmons College with Colleges of the Fenway partners with and serves at three preschools in Jamaica Plain.
Join Jumpstart today! As a Corps member, you will be a positive force in your community and impact the lives of young children. Additional benefits include:
- Work-Study compensation (if applicable)
- AmeriCorps education award to pay for tuition, loans, or other qualified expenses (upon completion)
- Service-learning credit (if applicable)
- Practicum Experience for the Professional Qualification Certification by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (potential to become a licensed assistant preschool teacher in the state of MA)
- The opportunity to meet and work with individuals from other Colleges of the Fenway
- Extensive training in the field of early childhood education
- Unique opportunity to join a national network of individuals serving young children
- Invaluable opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young children