Hire a Student (CA$H)

CA$H (Convenient Access to Student Hires) is the Simmons online job board for on-campus student employment. The database carries on-campus employment opportunities both for work-study students as well as general student employees. As a Simmons faculty or staff member, you are able to post student job opportunities for your office via CA$H. The CA$H system also carries off-campus work-study jobs at approved not-for-profit organizations.

Work-study student employees have a work-study award as part of their financial aid package. They are typically undergraduate students, and their wages are paid in part from their award (60%) and in part from your departmental budget (40%). General student employees can be any enrolled student at Simmons College (undergraduate or graduate), and their wages are paid in full out of your departmental budget.
Registering for CA$H
To register for CA$H, click here.
Using CA$H
Once registered, you can either log in to CA$H here or via the login below:

to CA$H
Once logged in, you can edit your profile in CA$H and post work-study jobs for students. PLEASE NOTE: Work-study jobs are available only to students that have received work-study awards as part of their student financial aid package (see the Student Financial Services office for more information on work-study awards).

You can create a new job by selecting New Job from the My Jobs menu, or view a list of previously posted jobs by selecting Jobs List.

From the Jobs List, click on the title or job ID# of any job to view the full details.

The complete CA$H User Guide - Employers is available here.

Hiring a Student Employee

Once a student has been selected to fill an open on-campus position, you will need to report them as a hire in CA$H by selecting Report a Hire from the left side of the CA$H home page and completing the requested information. Once the information is filled out, you will need to click on Print Forms, select Job Placement Form, and print out the PDF version of the completed placement form. This will then need to be signed and sent Student Payroll (Main College Building, E101).

Once the Job Placement Form has been received and processed by Student Payroll, student employees who have not previously worked for Simmons will be notified to complete their Forms I-9 and W-4 via Workday. They will then need to go to Student Payroll to show the identification required to finish the I-9. PLEASE NOTE: It is against federal law to begin employment without completing a Form I-9, which verifies an employee's eligibility to work in the United States.


Can I hire any Simmons student for on-campus employment?

Yes, any enrolled student may apply and be hired for on-campus employment. However, only students with work-study awards from financial aid may be hired into work-study employment. All other students must be hired as general student employees, with their wages paid in full from your departmental budget.

How may I determine if a student has a work-study award or not?

When posting a job, be sure to specify whether or not the job is "General Employment" or "Work-Study." You may also ask the student if they have a work-study award, though they can decline to answer the question.

When should I post my on-campus employment opportunity to CA$H?

While on-campus jobs may be posted throughout the year in CA$H, we recommend that you post Fall Semester openings to CA$H in August and no later than mid-September, and that you post Spring Semester openings in January and no later than mid-February. This will ensure that your job is recent and available for viewing at the same time as students are looking for on-campus employment.

What is the hourly rate I need to pay a student employee?

You are responsible for determining the hourly rate of pay for your student employee(s) based upon their experience and the requirements of the job. The Massachusetts minimum wage is $9.00/hour (increasing to $10/hour on January 1, 2016). While we do not have specific pay recommendations, most students are paid between $9-12/hour.

How many hours may a student work per week in their on-campus job?

Simmons policy prohibits full-time undergraduate students from working more than 20 hours per week total (including all on-campus and work-study jobs) while school is in session (Fall & Spring semesters). Graduate students must receive approval from Student Payroll and their academic advisors to work in excess of 20 hours per week in their student jobs.