'Tis the season of the summer internship. On the commuter rail every day I see new and unfamiliar faces, young professionals in the making, many of them undertaking their first workplace experiences.
But questions arise for these workers: what to wear to the office? What is and isn't proper behavior? How do you know what to ask for, and when? How do you relate to your supervisor? And 1,001 other questions.
Hence this handy collection of resources, which includes articles, photos, and videos that can help resolve some of these vexing issues for workplace newbies. Here they are:
- Don't Be a Skintern. What Not to Wear to Your Summer Internship - From webzine Slate, practical women's dress tips from the editor of Vanity Fair's website, VF.com
- How to Dress for Your Summer Internship: 5 Easy Rules Anyone Can Master - While skewing slightly to the younger side, these five fashion tips from TeenVogue offer relevant advice for college-aged interns.
- The Dos and Don'ts of Dressing for Your Summer Internship - Yahoo's take on the same subject.
Enough about how you look. While appearance and first impressions certainly matter, what about the substance of your internship experience? What are you going to put into it, and what are you supposed to get out of it?
- What to Expect on the First Day of Your Summer Internship - Popular wesbite HerCampus offers some great advice on starting out, and then some - meeting your fellow interns, meeting your supervisor, lunch, and more (including, yes, some dress tips as well).
- 10 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Summer Internship - Now we get to where the rubber meets the road: what will you get out of your internship? Website Career Attraction provides insight about making the most of your internship experience. For example, "Tip #2. Deliver - You want to make sure that you complete any assignments, whether easy or complex, by the deadlines. 'The dog ate my homework' (or its digital version) will not resonate here."
And finally, videos. One set is from our video content partner, CareerSpots. The other video comes from fellow collegiate career office and New England neighbor, Brown University:
- CareerSpots on Internships - Several of these 2-3 min. videos address topics such as how to handle yourself in the workplace, how to convert your internship into a FT job, etc.
- Maximizing Your Internship Experience- This concise (running time: 5:07) and engaging video captures pretty much everything you need to know about doing an internship and pulls it all together for you.
And don't forget all the resources at your disposal here in the CEC. You can always come by during drop-in hours or set up an appointment to speak to one of our coaches, as well as avail yourself of the resources here on our website.
To all you eager, budding young professionals out there in your summer internships, make the most of it, have fun, good luck, and see you back on campus in the fall!