Negotiation is the process in which two parties come to an agreement concerning the terms and conditions under which they are willing to do business. Follow these steps to ensure a successful outcome:
Preparation before the offer
- Establish your own criteria about benefits, job responsibilities, and the salary you want, the salary you need, and your bottom line.
- Create a list of reasons they should hire you: skills accomplishments, experience, knowledge, personal traits.
- Do market research to find labor market salary ranges for role, industry, company size, and place, i.e. salary.com.
When you receive the offer
- Thank the employer and show your enthusiasm.
- Clarify position responsibilities, salary and benefits.
- Request additional information, if needed.
- Ask for offer in writing, and for time to evaluate the offer.
- DO NOT NEGOTIATE AT THIS TIME!!