Skip to this page's content


Simmons provides housing for many of our students, including undergraduate, Dix Scholars, graduate, and students with special needs. In addition, we provide a variety of supportive interest and theme communities each year that focus on events related to the floor theme. If you have any questions about our communities or have a suggestion for a future theme, feel free to contact us.

For the 2014-2015 year, Simmons College will be offering several special interest and theme communities!

Theme Communities:

  • Sports Pride Floor (Simmons Hall, 3rd Floor, Brookline Ave side)
  • Foodie Floor (Mesick Hall, 4th Floor)
  • Arts Floor (Morse Hall, 4th Floor)

Special Interest Communities:

  • Wellness Community (South Hall 1st-4th floors)
  • Women-Only Floor (Simmons 1st floor, Pilgrim Rd.)
  • Substance-Free Floor (Simmons 4th floor, Pilgrim Rd.)

Read on to find out more about these communities.

Wellness Community

Curious about Wellness living? Hear how South Hall residents describe "wellness." 

  • "Maintaining your own type of happiness: physically, emotionally, mentally."
  • "Getting enough sleep, eating right, exercising regularly, having balance in your life." 
  • "Being in a healthy state of mind and being substance free!"
  • "Wellness is the embodiment of physical, emotional, spiritual, and mental wellness. They have to be balanced in a way you, as an individual, feel comfortable and happy with."
  • "Wellness is a mind, body, and soul that is centered and a person who has a healthy relationship with others and herself."
  • "Wellness to me means living a balanced life and caring for both your physical health and your mental and spiritual health, both of which are different to each individual."
  • "Lots and lots and lots of sleep!"

FAQ: South Hall/Wellness Community

So, what does it really mean to live in the Wellness Community?
South Hall 1st-4th floors is a substance-free environment, where individuals embrace different concepts of wellness. Residents are expected to attend hall events and actively participate in the community.

I heard that since South Hall residents no longer have to sign a contract, the policies in South have been relaxed. Is this true?

It is true that South Hall residents are not required to sign a contract. However, by choosing to live in South, students agree to uphold the principles that were stated in this contract. They agree to respect the substance-free environment (even if they are over the age of 21), by not using substances in the hall or entering the hall under the influence of substances.

But isn't South just like any other hall in terms of its policies? What will really happen if I break them?

In terms of behavior policy, South Hall rules are very similar to other halls - all halls are substance-free in the sense that alcohol consumption is illegal under 21. However, the culture is also different in South Hall. Not only does this behavior go against the college policy, it also goes against the values of our community. The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to relocate students who do not respect the standards of the Wellness Community to other halls.

Is there a cap on how many returning students can live in South?

Yes. Due to South's popularity we will cap returning students at 60% of the building. This leaves at least 40% of the spaces for incoming 1st year students.

Is the 5th floor part of the Wellness Community?

No, the 5th floor will be open for selection starting with Graduate Student and Dix Scholar selection. While the residents will not be required to be alcohol-free if they are over the age of 21 the South Hall 5th floor will be asked to sign an agreement to respect the fact that South Hall 1st-4th floors are Wellness.

Special Interest Communities

Women-Only Floor:

Location: Simmons Hall, 1st Floor Pilgrim Rd. Side - 4 double rooms available
This community is for students who prefer the privacy of not having male overnight guests or male guests using their bathroom. Students will commit to creating a comfortable environment for their neighbors by being respectful of the frequency of male guests. This community would accommodate the needs of religiously observant women (for example, observant Christian, Muslim, and Jewish women) as well as welcome all other women who are interested!

Substance-Free Floor:

Simmons Hall, 4th Floor
Students who live on this floor agree to be smoke-free, drug-free, and alcohol-free. They agree to respect the substance-free environment (even if they are over the age of 21), by not using substances in the hall or entering the hall under the influence of substance.

Spiritual Resources (food/reflection/facilities):

Students seeking more information on spiritual life at Simmons, such as information on the Kosher kitchen, ablution facilities, and prayer/reflection space on the residence campus should visit the Spiritual Life page.