The Student Government Association (SGA) has developed a process that allows for recognition of new undergraduate organizations at Simmons College. The members of SGA base recognition decisions on the demonstrated need for the organization as well as its potential contribution to the Simmons community. The Office of Student Leadership and Activities (OSLA) handles the administrative aspects of recognition and activation.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Gaining Organization Recognition
- Meet with a member of the OSLA staff in order to discuss the proposed organization and its purpose. Staff members can also answer any questions about the recognition process.
- Hold an organization meeting to assess student interest in the proposed organization. At least three (3) students must be interested in membership for recognition.
- Select a president and a treasurer. One individual cannot hold both of these positions.
- Determine the organization's mission and goals.
- Draft a constitution. (See "Writing and Updating Your Constitution" in this section.)
- Recruit a full-time member of the Simmons faculty or staff to serve as an advisor to the organization.
- Meet with an OSLA staff member for a constitutional review.
- Contact the SGA president (617-521-2426 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to place your proposed organization on the next Senate meeting agenda. Senate meetings are held every Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.
- Attend the Senate meeting with copies of the organization's constitution. You will be asked to discuss the constitution, mission, and planned activities of the proposed organization. The student Senate will then vote on recognition of the proposed organization. Be advised that Senate votes take a minimum of two weeks.
- Upon approval, complete all activation forms: Organizational Record form, Hazing Compliance Form, and Public Performance of Videocassettes and DVDs form.
- Upon approval, the organization must read and commit to the policies listed in the Student Organization Handbook and Resource Guide.
- Upon approval, the organization is recognized and will receive all privileges and responsibilities associated with SGA recognized student organizations at Simmons.