Know Your Professor: Gary Bailey
Professor Gary Bailey is a well-loved professor in the School of Social Work and the School of Nursing and Health Studies. He is the Chair of the Simmons College Black Administrators, Faculty and Staff Council (BAFAS) and the first African-American and the first American in 20 years to be elected president of the International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW).
We had the chance to talk to Professor Bailey about his interests, secret talents, and much more!
- What is your favorite class to teach?
- Social Action, as it helps students begin to understand that they can indeed be agents of change in the world.
- What's your favorite book?
- Why Mosquitoes Buzz in Peoples Ears by Verna Aardema.
- Fill in the blank: When I was in college..
- I had a plan for my future.
- What's your favorite website or social network?
- What's your favorite restaurant in Boston?
- Petit Robert.
- If you could travel to anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why?
- Barcelona because each time I am there I always feel renewed and at home.
- When I'm not teaching, I'm..
- Working in my neighborhood and am active in my community.
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- I love to repair old furniture and other "found" items that people have discarded.
- Favorite quote?
- "If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud"-Emile Zola.
- I like my students because...
- They are eager to learn.
- What song is your personal anthem?
- Stand by Donnie McClurkin.
- Fill in the blank: I like Simmons because...
- Its mission of preparing women to take their place as leaders.