WHO WE ARE
BAFAS is an organization which has historically focused on the issues of black people and people of African descent here at Simmons College. We are part of a multicultural environment and are allies and supporters of all individuals of color. BAFAS grows and expands to fit current interests of members in support of the College.
WE STRIVE TO
- Retain and support black people and people of African descent who are in administrative, faculty, and staff positions at Simmons College and help foster their career development.
- Sustain a professional network of black people and people of African descent throughout the Simmons community and the Colleges of the Fenway.
- Support the ideals and goals of equal opportunity and non-discrimination in employment at Simmons.
- Provide mentorship and support to students, staff, and faculty who are black or of African descent.
- Develop programs that support the College's commitment to retain students who are black or of African descent.
- Support the diversity initiatives set forth by the Assistant Dean/Director of Multicultural Affairs, the Multicultural Academic Advisory Council and the college President.
- Establish an achievement award to honor administrators, faculty, and staff who are black or of African descent.
- Participate in and support activities of the Office of Student Life as they identify and honor the achievements of students at Simmons who are black or of African descent.
- Develop a community link with local high school and community college students by inviting them to Simmons College for cultural enrichment opportunities.
- Provide support to the Alumnae/i Relations Office to increase awareness and participation in events for alumnae/i who are black or of African descent.