For Students over 24
Dorothea Lynde Dix Scholars Program
Designed for applicants 24 years or older or students pursuing a second bachelors, the Dorothea Lynde Dix Scholars program provides unique services and support for adult women who wish to pursue an undergraduate degree at Simmons.
Dix Scholars comprise approximately 14 percent of the Simmons undergraduate student body and often attain higher grade point averages than do younger students.
Services and Support
Our highly respected Dix Scholars program offers personal support to help you transition into college and manage your educational experience from the moment you decide to apply. Here are some of the services the Dix Scholars program provides:
- Admission, registration, and orientation procedures tailored to the needs of adult learners
- A rolling admission calendar
- Financial aid, including the Dix scholarship of $3,400 (split between the first two consecutive semesters that the student attends)
- Generous transfer credit options (up to 80 credits)
- Full-time and part-time study options
- Academic support
- Credit for prior learning
Schedule an Admission Appointment
Dix Scholars may apply for degree programs through the Office of Admission at any time throughout the year. We suggest you begin by scheduling an appointment with one of our admission counselors. Meeting you in person allows us to better assist you with a plan for your education. Together, we will assess your personal and professional goals and help you define your educational path.
To schedule an admission appointment, please call 617-521-2051 or send an email to email@example.com.
At your request, Simmons will provide a preliminary estimate of your transfer credits. In general, we grant credit for any course taken at another accredited institution, provided a comparable course is offered by Simmons. Up to 80 semester hours of credit may be transferred for courses passed with a minimum grade of C or better.
Dix Scholars may transfer credit for prior course work through both the College-Level Examination Program (32 credits maximum) and the Simmons College Credit for Prior Learning process (24 credits maximum).
The admission committee will review your application to learn not only what you have accomplished, but also who you are. To apply as a Dix Scholar, you need to submit the following information in addition to the application:
- Official Transcripts - Simmons requires official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. High school transcripts and GEDs are required for first-degree candidates only. Official transcripts should be sent directly by the institutions Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Recommendations - Two recommendations are required and at least one from an academic reference is preferred.
- Standardized test scores - SAT, ACT, or TEAS scores are required of applicants to the Nursing Program, and SAT or ACT scores are required of applicants to the Physical Therapy Program. This requirement is waived for candidates who already hold a baccalaureate degree. Test scores are not required for any of our other programs.
- Nursing Candidates - Learn more about your options for completing your BSN at Simmons.
Apply for Free!
Use any of our Online Application options and we'll waive the $55 application fee.
Start your Application!
The Simmons admission staff is here to help you. For more information about the Dix Scholars program or to schedule an appointment with one of our admission counselors, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 617-521-2051.