The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides annual grants to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Students may qualify for up to $4000 per year, based on enrollment and general eligibility.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to qualify for the TEACH Grant at Simmons University, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled in your first undergraduate or graduate degree.
    • Programs that may qualify include but are not limited to: Modern Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Special Education
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework. 
    • Such coursework may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher). A full listing is published each year in the annual Teacher Shortage Areas Nationwide Listing.
  • Maintain certain academic requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college or university admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout the academic year).

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must also:

  • Become a "highly-qualified", "full-time teacher" in a "high-need subject area" for at least four years at a "school serving low-income students".
  • Complete the four years of teaching within eight years of finishing the program for which you received the grant. 
    • You incur a four-year teaching obligation for each educational program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, although you may work off multiple four-year obligations simultaneously under certain circumstances. 
Application and Awarding Process

If you are interested in receiving the TEACH Grant and believe you meet the requirements, you must complete the following each year:

  1. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  2. Submit a Student Information Form
  3. Login and Complete Initial/Subsequent TEACH Grant Counseling
  4. Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS)
  5. Notify your Financial Aid Officer that you have submitted your TEACH Grant documentation

Your Financial Aid Officer will then review your FAFSA and GPA to determine your eligibility for the grant. If you are eligible, the TEACH Grant will be added to your account as pending aid and will disburse after the start of classes.

TEACH Grant Exit Counseling & Additional Documentation
TEACH Grant Exit Counseling

Upon separation from Simmons University, whether it be graduation or withdrawal, all students who receive the TEACH Grant must complete TEACH Grant Exit Counseling at www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA. This counseling, similar to Stafford Loan Exit Counseling, provides useful information on your TEACH Grant and what to expect moving forward. 

Other Documentation

You must respond promptly to any requests for information or documentation from the U.S. Department of Education, even if they seem repetitive. These requests will be sent to you while you are still in school as well as once you are out of school. You will be asked regularly to confirm that you either still intend to teach or that you are teaching as required. You must provide documentation to the U.S. Department of Education at the end of each year of teaching.

If you temporarily cease enrollment in your program of study or if you encounter situations that affect your ability to begin or continue teaching, you will need to stay in touch with the U.S. Department of Education to avoid your grants being converted to loans before you are able to complete your teaching obligation.

Important Reminder

Failure to complete the teaching obligation, respond to requests for information, or properly document your teaching service will cause the TEACH Grant to be permanently converted to a loan with interest.

Once a grant is converted to a loan it can't be converted back to a grant!

For further information, please see Department of Education TEACH Grant page or contact us at Student Financial Services.