Health Professions Education (CAGS)

Our Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) Health Professions Education is carefully designed for students who hold a master's degree in a health professions specialty. All classes are conducted online, allowing students to continue their careers while being certified. Learn more about the CAGS program.
Application Requirements

Requirements for entry into program

Applicants must have a Master's degree or higher academic degree in a health professions specialty from a regionally accredited US post-secondary institution. Practical experience within the healthcare arena within the past three years is also required.

An overall GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate and graduate studies. GRE (scores from within five years prior to the application deadline) sent by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) directly to the Office of Admission are required. We are unable to accept electronic scores or copies of student score reports. Allow 4-6 weeks for such official scores to be received by the Office of Admission. Simmons GRE code is 3761.

Application Procedure

The application deadline for the CAGS in Health Professions Education is June 1 for fall admission. An applicant will be considered for review if the following requirements are submitted and completed by the deadline:

  1. Complete application
  2. Personal statement
  3. Current resume
  4. Three letters of recommendation
  5. Official college transcripts from all institutions attended, whether or not a degree was earned

Once you submit our electronic application, please check the self-service portal to determine that all required application materials have been received.

Academic Records

Official transcripts for all courses completed (undergraduate and graduate) at regionally accredited institutions,whether or not a degree was awarded or regardless of when the courses were taken or if the courses are specific to the program you are applying to are required. This requirement includes courses which appear on another transcript as transfer or study abroad credit. If you attended a study abroad program and a separate transcript exists, send that as well. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded.

If you earned a degree abroad, academic records must include end of year marks sheets for each year of attendance, not just final exam results or a copy of the degree. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. Overseas post-secondary institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the home country. Academic records in the native language and an official English translation (if needed) are required. English translations must be provided by someone other than the applicant, family member or friend. It may also be necessary for the applicant to submit an interpretation by a foreign credential services agency. Interpretations of foreign credentials by an evaluation service do not replace official academic records. These evaluations are assessments of the curriculum and are not accepted in lieu of official academic documents. Contact our office at 617-521-2605 to determine if this is needed. When you call, please be prepared to provide the name of the institution and country where the degree was earned.

The Office of Admission also accepts electronic transcripts from certain vendors including eSCRIP-SAFE, Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse.

Standardized Test Scores

Applicants whose first language is not English must submit an official TOEFL score from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), taken within two years prior to the application deadline. The official score report must be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the office. Copies of student score reports are not acceptable. The Simmons TOEFL number is 3761.

The TOEFL requirement is based on native language, not citizenship status. No other English proficiency exam will be accepted. The TOEFL is waived for applicants who have graduated at the bachelor's or master's level from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a post secondary institution abroad that is recognized by the Ministry of Education in the host country in English- speaking countries only.

The required scores are: 600 (paper based), 250 (computer based) or 100 (internet based). Further information about this exam can be obtained by directly contacting TOEFL; Educational Testing Service; P.O. Box 6151; Princeton, NJ; 08541-6151; Telephone: 215-750-8050 or their website.


Three recommendations, written within six months of the deadline, are required. We do not accept recommendations from individuals who have a personal relationship with you (family members, friends, religious personnel) or politicians since we need evaluations from individuals who can assess your academic ability to engage in graduate studies. Instructions for the online recommendation process can be found within the application.

Enrollment Deposit

All accepted applicants are required to submit a non-refundable $750 enrollment deposit. This deposit is applied to the first term bill.

Deferred Entrance

An accepted student may request, in writing, to the Director of Admission a deferral of the entrance date for a maximum of one year. The student must indicate what he/she will do in the interim. If granted a deferral, a non- refundable enrollment deposit is required by the date stated in the letter of admission to ensure enrollment.

Reapplication Procedure

An individual who wishes to re-apply should call the Office of Admission at 617-521-2605 for details. All re-applicants are required to submit a new electronic application and any official academic transcripts for courses completed since the initial application. A reapplication fee is required.

International Students

If you require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S., you must be accepted to and enrolled full time in a degree seeking program. The CAGS HP ED program is not a full time program, thus individuals requiring an F-1 visa are not eligible to apply. Taking courses on a non-degree basis is not possible.

If you hold an H visa, please contact the Office of Admission at 617-521-2605 or to determine if you are eligible to apply. Please be certain to tell us what type of H visa you hold, and when/where you earned your bachelor's and master's degrees.

Health Professions Education Tuition
FALL 2019, SPRING 2020, SUMMER 2020

Tuition is calculated on a per credit basis each semester. Below you will find a listing of the tuition rates for your program. The activity fee is mandatory for all students, so it has been included below. For information on health insurance fees, please see "Health Insurance for Graduate Students".

Tuition $1,250 per credit hour (CAGS/Doctoral)
Activity Fee $114 per semester
Health Insurance for Graduate Students

The Student Health Insurance Plan rates for 2019-2020 have not been released. The figure provided is from the 2018-2019 academic year and is expected to increase in 2019-2020. Student Health Insurance is charged once per year to any student enrolled in 9 or more credits. If you do not wish to enroll in the school provided plan, please waive it at The waiver must be completed once a year by the deadline. Please visit our Student Health Insurance Plan page for more information.

Simmons University does not offer health insurance coverage to students enrolled in less than 9 credits OR the dependent(s) of any Simmons University student.

Health Insurance** $5,851 per year

**For more information on the Student Health Insurance Plan, please visit our Student Health Insurance Plan page.

Apply Now

The application deadline for Fall 2019 is June 1, 2019. Apply here!

*Please access the application through a newer version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Users will not be able to access forms through Internet Explorer 6, 7 or 8 on Windows XP.