Simmons offers two options that lead to eligibility for professional licensure. The 32 credit master’s degree program, for those who do not have a previous master’s degree, consists of four approved courses in an appropriate content area and four approved courses in advanced pedagogy. The 12 credit certificate program consists of three approved courses in an appropriate content area and is designed for teachers with master’s degrees.
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. All grade point averages are considered, but a B (3.0) average or higher is preferred. In general, applicants are expected to submit a completed application file that includes the following:
- A completed online application or paper application form
- Current résumé
- Statement of purpose that addresses the following: What advanced instructional skills do you hope to gain through this program? What subject matter knowledge are you interested in learning more about at an advanced level?
- Two letters of recommendation
- Copies of all teaching certificates/licenses
- Official college transcripts from every college or university attended. Must include degree conferral.
- TOEFL scores, if English is not the applicant's first language
- Non-refundable application fee of $35 (payable to Simmons College)
- An interview is not required, but if you would like to learn more about the program or set up an interview, please contact Graduate Studies Admission at 617-521-2915
Graduate Studies Admission Office has a rolling admission policy. Apply early for maximum consideration for admission and financial aid. To meet priority application deadlines, completed application files should be submitted by the following dates:
- Summer: May 1
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 15
Admission may be deferred for up to two semesters, after which applicants must reapply.
Non-Degree Enrollment Option
If you are unsure about enrolling in a graduate program, or just want to advance your educational experience, non-degree study at Simmons is the best option for you. As a non-degree student, you may enroll in up to two graduate-level courses (eight credits) before formally applying to a degree program. Find out more about our non-degree option.
For More Information
Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies Admission at 617-521-2915 or email@example.com if you have questions about the application process, a specific program, or the College. We're happy to schedule visits and campus tours.
To get started on your application, click one of the links below:
*Candidates for the certificate program must already have a master's degree
**Candidates for the Professional License program must already have an initial teaching license. If you don't have an initial license, you are likely interested in our Master of Arts in Teaching program
***Please access the application through a newer version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Users will not be able to access forms through Internet Explorer 6, 7 or 8 on Windows XP.