It will be important for you to maintain communication with friends and family around the globe throughout your time at Simmons.

Dialing Instructions

On-campus: dial 9 for outside calls

To dial long distance within the US: 1 + area code + number

To dial overseas from the US: 011 + country code + city code + local number (See countrycodes list)

For directory assistance within your local area: 411, Long distance: 1 + area code + 555-1212

Prepaid calling cards are available for sale in the Campus bookstore and at many local stores. These cards provide a specific number of minutes of long distance calling. Instructions on use are printed with the card.

Mobile phones: There are a wide variety of mobile phone services. Be sure to shop around and compare prices and plans. Some services include the cost of the phone, others do not. Some are a monthly contract with a minimum time frame with penalties for early cancelation of the service. Some are prepaid phone service, with the option to purchase additional minutes when needed. Be sure to check for the international rates if you intend to use your cell phone to make international calls. Some of these rates are extremely expensive.

Internet phone service: Some services/programs such as Skype allow for free or relatively inexpensive voice and video communication between computers that have the software installed or for computer-to-telephone communication.


  • You have a few options for mailing that may differ depending upon the destination and content of your letter or package. There is a stamp vending machine located in the ground level of the MCB that sells regular U.S. stamps, postcard stamps and airmail stamps. Consider the following when planning to mail letters or packages:
  • Express mail: There are various options through the U.S. Post Office or a number of private companies. Simmons uses FEDEX for overseas mail. Be sure to price delivery before mailing. Express mail can be very expensive.
  • Standard air mail: less expensive than express; however, depending upon the destination, delivery time involved can be significantly longer. Be sure to label mail as AIRMAIL otherwise it may be sent via surface mail.
  • Certified Mail: Once you are living in the U.S. all mail you may send to INS or USCIS relating to your non-immigrant status should be sent certified mail or via a service that allows you to track the mail (such as FedEx or DHL). Certified mail, which is available at any U.S. Post Office, provides registered receipts with each item being mailed. The receipt enables you to trace the document through the mail in the event that it does not reach its destination.

For more information about US Postal Service, postage rates. Post office locations, etc., see


All Simmons students have e-mail accounts. See the Simmons University Technology New Students page for more information.