Annual Employment Survey
Summary Findings of SSW Graduate Employment Survey for Class of 2015
The annual SSW employment survey was sent to all 2015 MSW grads for whom the school had a current email address. Of the 134 graduates who received the survey, 78 submitted responses, resulting in a response rate of 58%. The survey was sent out in mid November, approximately six months post graduation.
Highlights of the survey include:
- 80% work in the greater Boston area
- 87% of those employed as a social worker are working full-time; 6% are working part-time.
- Primary fields of practice:
- Mental health and substance abuse services (38%)
- School social work (5%)
- Child Welfare and home based family services (15%)
- Health Care and Elder services (23%)
- Most common job functions for the new grads are therapist or counselor (86%), case manager (55%), advocate (59%) and group worker (48%).
- 88% receive LICSW supervision
- Nearly 27% of respondents obtained a position in social work prior to graduation
- By mid-November, nearly 87% were employed in social work.
- Most helpful resources in landing a job:
- Indeed.com (82%)
- Online job listings (78%)
- SSW faculty (82%)
- Field placement supervisor or other agency contact (82%)
- SSW job fair (56%)
- Idealist.org (66%)
- 88% are working in salaried positions; 16% are in fee for service positions.
- The median salary stated is $43,600. Of the 78 respondents who listed a salary, 46% earn salaries higher than the median.
- The median range for fee for service is $21.00-$26.00/hour
- Over 96% describe their jobs as helping to advance their career goals.
- Over 96% describe their jobs as providing them with opportunities to continue learning and professional development.
Licensing Exam (LCSW)
- By November 69% had taken the LCSW exam
- 97% passed the exam.