Nursing & Health Sciences
School of Nursing and Health Sciences Careers
The School of Nursing and Health Sciences (SNHS) offers nationally accredited graduate programs for men and women in nutrition and health promotion, physical therapy, and primary health care nursing. Additionally, SNHS offers a program in health professions education. SNHS has an outstanding faculty, a location central to the world-class medical community in Boston, and the building blocks for a fulfilling career.
Graduates of SNHS go into many different fields and pursue a range of different occupations in the healthcare field, among them registered nurses, family nurse practitioners, dietitians, nutritionists, physical therapists, and many more. According to the most recent Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for these fields is expected to grow much faster than the average for the overall job market over the next ten years. You can learn more by visiting the following and related pages in the OOH online:
Simmons provides nursing and health science graduate students with the education and experience that employers seek today. As a student, you will enjoy the dual benefit of superior academic study and outstanding access to career opportunities.
The CEC takes its commitment to students seriously, honoring the Simmons promise to put you first. The CEC is here to help SNHS students assess your skills and interests and explore your professional options and provides a full range of services to assist you in doing so.
Among these services, the CEC provides tailored career coaching to help you launch your career in healthcare. Your career coach will help you clarify your career goals and help with developing the skills and strategies to attain them upon graduation from the SNHS program. In preparation for your job search, we will assist you with analyzing, articulating and packaging your academic and work experience to effectively market yourself to employers. In addition, you will receive support in planning and implementing your job search strategy to make informed, effective decisions for your next step as well as future career transitions.
You can make an appointment with a career coach for a one-on-one meeting.
In addition to individual career coaching and the other services outlined above, the CEC provides both on- and off-campus recruiting events and career fairs during the academic year. In addition, the CEC offers skill-building workshops on a range of career development topics such as "Getting Started on LinkedIn," "Professional Networking 2.0," and many more. Check out the CEC Events Calendar
for the latest workshops and recruiting events.
Library Career Resources
Simmons Beatley Library has a number of general Career Resources, as well as multiple guides for health-focused careers, including:
CEC Career Toolkit
- CEC Career Toolkit - visit the Career Toolkit for in-depth information across all the developmental career steps, including self-assessment, career exploration, resumes and cover letters, networking, interviewing, and managing your job search
- Alumnet - register for the Simmons online alumnae/i network
- LinkedIn - create your own account on the leading site for professional networking. Once registered you can join the Simmons LinkedIn Group
Resumes and Cover Letters
From the CEC Guides and How-To's page:
Job Search and Postings
- CareerLink - Simmons' online job board, with approximately 1,000 active listings and 50 new listings each week
- LiquidCompass (Nursing job search resource) - Online resource provides "Hiring Sheets" containing all current nursing job openings across all major employers in the Boston area for Tech and Nursing Support Jobs as well as RN positions
- CareerSpots videos - check out this excellent series of 1-4 min. long videos on a range of career topics