Placing students first—that's a Simmons tradition.
We help students build successful careers, lead meaningful lives, and achieve a powerful return on their educational investment. We view this as an inviolable responsibility, as an educational promise that underscores our commitment to you. Too many schools lose sight of the implicit agreement they have with students, but we believe you should expect your school to always keep your welfare in mind and at heart.
Why Simmons SLIS?
- Nationally accredited MS in Library and Information Science is ranked in the top 10 by U.S. News & World Report.
- A commitment to helping students build exceptional careers in library and information science since 1902.
- SLIS faculty and alumni who are distinguished experts in their fields and have held top leadership positions in professional associations.
- A variety of options for experiential learning, ranging from in-class projects to semester-long internships and practicums to pre-professional opportunities.
- Flexibility: full- and part-time options, evening and weekend classes, blended and online courses, and post-master's LIS opportunities.
- One of the largest alumni networks in the field, providing lifelong professional collaboration and support.
- Three Massachusetts locations: the Simmons campus in Boston's Fenway neighborhood, the SLIS West program at Mount Holyoke College campus in South Hadley, and the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst.
U.S. News & World Report ranked SLIS 9th in the nation for 2013 for its Library & Information Studies program. Simmons is the only library and information science school in New England to be ranked in this category this year. For specialty categories, the SLIS Archives and Preservation program ranked 1st in the nation and the SLIS Services for Children and Youth program ranked 3rd.
The ranking is derived from a peer-reviewed survey of deans, program directors and senior faculty at 50 schools with accredited masters programs.
The SLIS Difference
Our school is big in many ways—a national leader with top-rated faculty, prestigious alumni, and great locations in Boston, South Hadley, and Amherst, Massachusetts, as well as programs offered online. However, upholding our educational "contract" with students means that the focus is on you. We offer a learning experience that is highly collaborative and much more personal than that of large universities. You'll have direct and frequent access to faculty who know your name and understand your aspirations. And you'll work closely with classmates in an engaging, supportive classroom environment, be it face-to-face or online.