Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I apply for a Student Job?

New Students

  • Please apply for jobs using this link
  • Please see this Job Aid for instructions on how to apply for a job if you are a new student.

Active Students

  • If you are an active student looking for an additional job, please apply for jobs in Workday. Type "Find Jobs At Simmons" in the search box on the top left-hand side of the page to open the Internal Careers Site.
  • Please see this Job Aid or instructions on how to apply for a job if you are an active student worker.
  • PLEASE NOTE: When you are on the Careers Site, be sure to filter for Student Jobs on the left-hand side under “Worker Type”.
I got a job (yay!) what do I do now?

If you are a new student, you will receive an email from Workday with information on how to login.

The onboarding process in Workday will include completion of your Form I-9 and scheduling an appointment with Benefits & Payroll. 

  • Please be sure to complete and submit everything in your Workday inbox before your appointment with Benefits & Payroll. 
  • In order to complete the Form I-9, you will need to bring one or two forms of identification to your appointment with Benefits & Payroll. Only original, unexpired documents are accepted, photocopies are not permitted. The List of Acceptable Documents can be found here.
  • Once the form I-9 is approved by a member from Benefits and Payroll in your new hire appointment, a few more action items will appear in your inbox to complete such as setting up direct deposit and choosing tax withholdings.

If you are an active student and this is an additional job, you will be able to enter hours for the position once you are hired into the position. Your new position will be listed as an additional job in your Workday profile.

Students are paid their full wages, based upon the timesheets submitted by the employee and approved by their supervisor. As long as the time is submitted and approved within the pay period, the student will be paid on the corresponding pay date. If the time is submitted and/or approved late, the student will not be paid until the next pay date.

For information on how to use the Workday system, we recommend you visit our Workday Support Site. This site contains job aides and video tutorials on how to navigate the system. 

You are required to enter your hours worked into Workday in order to get paid. For instructions on how to do so, please click here. Students are paid by the Benefits & Payroll Office on a bi-weekly basis. For the Student Payroll Schedule and deadlines, please click here.

What is the Form I-9 and what do I need to complete it?

The Form I-9 verifies that individuals are authorized to work in the United States. This form is required by the U.S. Government, and without a valid Form I-9, an individual cannot work.

Very specific forms of identification are required to complete a Form I-9. Please click here for the List of Acceptable Documents

  • For example, if you have a valid U.S. Passport, you will only need to present one form of identification (the U.S. Passport) when you complete your Form I-9. If you do not have a U.S. Passport, you will need a combination of two other forms of identification. An example of a combination of two forms of identification is a drivers license with a photo and your Social Security Card.

If you are a new student, you must complete section 1 in the Form I-9 in Workday and come to the Benefits and Payroll Suite in the Main College Building in E208 to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9. You must bring original forms of identification with you. A Simmons representative must view your forms of identification and then approve the Form I-9 in Workday while you are present.

For U.S. citizens, the Form I-9 needs to be completed only once; it does not need to be updated each year.

I need to get an on campus job as part of my financial aid package. What do I need to do?

Work study and other general employment on campus job listings are available on our careers site. You will also need to contact the Simmons Financial Services office about related requirements in order to work on campus.

Are there jobs available for students without work study awards?

Yes! Managers post both general positions and work study positions on the Careers Page.

Can I work more than one job?

Yes. However, Simmons policy prohibits students from working more than 20 hours per week total for all jobs while school is in session (Fall and Spring semesters). Also, work study students can only earn the total indicated on their award letter in a given year. Students are responsible for tracking their hours and earnings to avoid working beyond their award amount.

Am I eligible for work study?

Any undergraduate student who has need and indicated "yes" on their FAFSA will receive work study at Simmons.

Please confirm that work study is listed on your award letter prior to applying for any work study positions. If work study was not part of your award, please contact Student Financial Services to learn more about applying and qualifying for work study.

I do not have the correct documents for the I-9 – what do I do?

Please make arrangements to have the original documents (photo copies are NOT acceptable) sent to you prior to your first day of work. The List of Acceptable Documents can be found here.

It is against federal law to begin employment without completing a Form I-9, which verifies your eligibility to work in the United States. Section 2 of the Form I-9 needs to be completed within 3 days of the employees first day of work.

What is required of me to get paid?
  • You must be hired into Workday.
  • A valid Form I-9 is on file in Workday.
  • Social Security Number is in Workday.
  • A completed Form W-4 is submitted in Workday.
  • Direct Deposit must be elected in Workday.
  • Your Time Sheet is submitted before the deadline.
What is the Form W-4?

The Form W-4 is completed by a new student employee to inform the Benefits and Payroll Office of the correct amount of federal tax to withhold from their paycheck. Form W-4 needs to be completed in Workday only once unless there is a change in address or tax status. All address changes must be updated in Workday as soon as possible.

How do I complete Form W-4?

You may complete the Form W4 in Workday.

  • Go to the Pay bubble.
  • Click "Withholding Elections".
  • Indicate the number of allowances you are claiming or, if you are exempt from tax withholding, check the "exempt" box.
  • Check the "I agree" box for your electronic signature.
  • Click Submit.

Please note that Simmons University cannot offer specific tax advice. If necessary, students should consult with parents/guardians or other financial source.

Are there additional forms for an off campus work study Job?

If you are offered an off campus work study position, in addition to hiring you in Workday, your supervisor will also need to complete a Federal Work Study Nonprofit Agency contract for you. The contracts are available from the Benefits and Payroll Office and should be completed returned to the Benefits and Payroll Office.

How do I complete my time sheet?

Student time sheets should be submitted through Workday. Instructions on how to submit your time can be found on here.

How many hours can I work?

Students are allowed to work up to a total of 20 hours per week total (including all on campus and work study jobs) during academic enrollment periods.

All students are required to take at least a thirty minute break after every six hours of work. Students are only paid for hours worked. Breaks are unpaid.

When are the time sheets due?

Time sheets are due in Workday on the Period End Dates indicated on the Student Payroll Schedule

Incomplete time sheets or time sheets that have not been approved will not be pulled into the payroll. Late time sheet submissions and approvals will be paid on the following pay date.

How and when do I get paid?

Pay day is every two weeks on a Friday, unless it's a holiday week. Please see the Student Payroll Schedule for specific dates.

Payment for student employment should be through direct deposit. Having direct deposit provides you with immediate access to your net pay right on pay day. Direct deposit also eliminates trips to the Cashier's Office to pick up your check, trips to the bank to deposit your check and lost or stale dated checks.

Please login to Workday to establish direct deposit. For instructions on how to setup direct deposit, please visit our Workday Support Page.

Where do I pick up my paycheck?
Until your direct deposit takes effect, you will receive a live paycheck. Paychecks are available on payday at the Cashier's Window, MCB, W-207. The Cashier's Window is open Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
When will I receive my W-2?

You will receive your paper W-2 by January 31st of the year following your employment.

If I move, will my change of address in AARC be reflected in Payroll?

Yes. If you move, please update your contact information in AARC and the information will be electronically transferred to Workday. 

Other Questions?
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments:

Joanna Schembri
Main Campus Building E 208
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115