Redesigning Simmons to highlight and build on our strengths in a sustainable structure.
The Academic Redesign Project
Simmons is a small college and we are a complex urban university at a time when disruptive technology and intense competition are changing the landscape of higher education. We must capitalize on our strengths, preserve our Mission and create a sustainable financial structure for Simmons.
Redesigning Simmons’ academic organization to optimize learning is part of a broad set of initiatives underway to support our signature strengths, including:
- Making our highly successful master’s programs available to students nationally, with Nursing, Social Work, Library, MBA/HealthCare MBA, Behavior Analysis, Strategic Communications and Public Health programs launched online since 2013
- Establishing the PLAN (Purpose Leadership ActioN), a new undergraduate core curriculum purpose-built to meet the needs of a connected global generation
Soon, Simmons will announce a new forward-thinking academic model to ensure we remain distinctive and competitive, continue to innovate in our Boston and online classrooms — and prepare our students for the challenges of an interprofessional, changing global marketplace.
A Campus That Works
Planning for a sustainable Simmons means meeting the evolving needs of our students. To do that, we must make forward-thinking choices about utilizing and developing our physical space. Our Institutional Master Plan (IMP) details a ten-year plan for our Residence and Academic campuses. While we develop our next IMP, Simmons is assessing whether more creative use of some of our campus real estate would enable us to achieve these key goals:
- Meeting our students' needs and expectations for a 21st century educational experience in the quickly developing STEM fields.
- Supporting the innovative core curriculum, PLAN, by creating living/learning spaces that complement academic courses and clinical programs centered around engagement with the City of Boston, classmates and peers.
- Modernizing our traditional residential experience to create the welcoming living environment that we know prospective students are looking for when they are selecting a college.
- Configuring our residential facilities to better host non-traditional student cohort groups for summer opportunities, online immersion conferencing, executive education, and other alternative delivery systems that support the Simmons College vision of being a global leader in leadership and education.
Throughout this process, we are committed to providing our internal and external community with regular updates
about our progress.
Campus Planning FAQ
Learn more about our plans to make the Simmons campus work for our community.