Center for Applied and Community Research
Center for Applied and Community Research (CACR)
Our mission is to advance excellence in social science research, training, knowledge transfer and exchange at the School of Social Work and to extend this work to the broader Simmons research community. We integrate research, teaching, and practice using an interdisciplinary approach, thereby building a bridge between academic science and community science.
The CACR is located in P404K in the Palace Road Building.
Contact David Robinson at 617-521-3160.
- Specific Aims
- Develop institutional and investigator capacity by hosting research colloquia and compiling electronic research resources.
- Provide administrative, scholarly, and technical assistance for researchers by linking faculty and students to mentors and college-wide resources to support grants and writing.
- Collaborate with, and participate in, community research in and around the Metropolitan Boston area, or with inter-professional consortia.
- Nurture a commitment to culturally-informed, evidence-based practice through advanced training, applied research, and the interaction of scholars and practitioners.
These aims are met through the identification and creation of research and training infrastructure, including search for funding, topical literature reviews, the provision of assistance with planning and conducting of research, dissemination of research findings, and training of researcher-practitioners. The CACR produces a newsletter three times per year highlighting faculty researchers and their projects.
- Key Features
- Interdisciplinary cooperation
- Scholar-practitioner collaboration
- Integration of policy, research and practice
- Faculty-student collaboration
- Faculty professional development
- Professional training
The CACR will link students’ research interests with faculty when available. Students are also invited to meet with the CACR Director to explore research topics.
To aid community research at Simmons College, the CACR hosts colloquia throughout the year and maintains a list of tools and resources for researchers.